STRENGTH TRAINING CLASS
Next week we’ll start our new Strength Training Class at 4:30 Monday afternoon. The programming for this class will differ from our regular classes in that the development of functional strength will be the primary focus of the class.
Why have a specific strength oriented class?
There are numerous benefits to be gained from strength training. Not only does weightlifting provide strength, speed, power and flexibility, but it also offers an opportunity to:
- Build more muscle, which in turn burns fat more efficiently creating a leaner more defined body, studies have shown that adults that don’t strength train lose between 5-7lbs of muscle every decade.
- Increase energy and functional strength, useful for accomplishing everyday activities,
- Develop greater joint strength, which allows for greater ease of movement,
- Improve bone strength, a great defense against osteoporosis, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and
- Build on upper and lower body strength, which will also reduce back strain.
- Increase Awesomeness, the ability to toss big weight around has an inherent aspect of making things in the world seem “right”. People have reported that the sun seems brighter, small children laugh more often around them, and police officers smile politely after lifting copious amounts.
Who is this for?
In a word… YOU! All of us can benefit from increased strength and the additional time spent working with the bar. The Olympic lifts are grounded in technique as much as in strength. Just like all skills, they take time to develop and this class will be oriented towards increasing your capacity “ to move large loads over long distances” in other words… bar-work. For the ladies out there that are already thinking they don’t want to be a part of this because they don’t want to bulk up like the female body-builders on TV, please realize that your natural testosterone levels just don’t make that possible. Haven’t you heard “Strong is the new skinny”?
Great! I’m sold… now what?
Now you have to make a plan to show up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 4:30pm SHARP to CrossFit Rise Above here in lil’ ole MELBOURNE FL. The class will start next week Aug 20.
Scott will be bringing his extensive experience as a CrossFit Instructor and his even more impressive background as a US NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE instructor/trainer/coordinator to bear on you guys (and myself) in order to get your strength and power to new heights!